An Exploration Of Best Dog DNA Tests
|Brand||Embark||Wisdom Panel Health||Wisdom Panel 3.0|
|Number of Genetic Markers||200,000||1,800||1,800|
|Number of Breeds Tested||200+||250||250|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|Review||Full Review||Full Review||Full Review|
- 1 An Exploration Of Best Dog DNA Tests
- 1.1 What Is A Dog DNA Test?
- 1.2 Why Are Dogs So Diverse?
- 1.3 Dog Dna Tests Reviews
What Is A Dog DNA Test?So, what exactly is a DNA test for your pooch? What is its purpose? In general, the best dog DNA tests will be able to serve multiple purposes. They’re capable of determining the dog’s breed. Simultaneously, the tests will usually analyze the dog’s health. Some tests can deliver more than 100 health results in a single package. Just remember that each package is different.
Differences Between ModelsThere are numerous differences between DNA tests for dogs on the market, some of them are much better than the others. This is why it is often pertinent to take your time and carefully read dog DNA tests reviews, before making your investment. So, what are some of the differences that should be noted? They’ll be laid out before for your consideration.
- The number of detectable breeds
- Number of genetic markers. Some only use 1,800 markers. Others use 200,000
- The health tests performance
- The traits that the test is capable of detecting
How It WorksAgain, it is pertinent to understand that each canine DNA test kit will be different. Nevertheless, the way in which they work is almost always the same. First and foremost, you’ll need to order the kit. After it arrives, you will need to take a sample from your dog. This is far simpler than you could ever imagine.Just prevent your dog from eating or drinking for at least thirty minutes. After this time has elapses, you should take the included Q-tip and use it to swab the lower pouches of the dog’s mouth. The sponge or swab should be full soaked when finished.
What Can I Find Out?So, what can a pet DNA test really tell me? The truth of the matter is that the best dog breed DNA test will be able to provide you with a wealth of information. Many people just want to know what breeds their dog is. The test can help you find out this answer and so much more. It can also help you determine the specific behavior and personality traits of the pooch. The test may also be able to give you an estimation of how big your dog will grow in the future.More importantly, a dog genetic test will be vital for better understanding their health. Since some breeds are more vulnerable to certain diseases and health problems, the test will help you determine what your dog’s risks might be. By using one of these tests, you’ll be able to take better steps to prevent certain ailments and keep your dog in better health.
Are These Tests Accurate?So, what is the overall dog DNA test accuracy? The answer depends widely on the specific test in question. If you spend very little on a DNA test for your canine, you can pretty much guarantee that the results will be less accurate. Spending a little more can definitely enhance the accuracy to some degree. Just remember that these tests are backed by science. DNA testing for dogs is very similar to DNA testing for humans. If it works so well for humans, it will also work exceptionally well for dogs. Just remember to read dog DNA test reviews and opt to spend a little more to ensure you’re able to get truthful and accurate results.
Why Are Dogs So Diverse?Why are dogs so diverse in the first place? Why would a mixed breed dog DNA test even be needed? The truth of the matter is that dog breeders have experimented with mixing breeds frequently over the years. This has helped to create new breeds, while also creating a very diverse population of canines on the planet. It can often be difficult to find a single breed dog. Most contain at least two breeds and their heritage may have even more. At the end of the day, modern dog breeders are partly to blame.
Dog Dna Tests Reviews
Embark Dog DNA Test
- Tests for more than 200 breeds
- Results are provided in an interactive guide
- Includes a Vet Report
- Uses more than 200,000 genetic markers
- Results are downloadable and printable
- Tests for genetic diseases (glaucoma, dilated cardiomyopathy and more)
- Results may sometimes be delayed
Wisdom Panel Health Canine DNA Test
- Test includes its very own pre-paid shipping label and box
- Extremely simple test to administer
- Test for over 250 different breeds, variations, and mixes
- Test can identify over 140 disease-causing mutations
- Results are provided in two to three weeks online
- Instructions included
- Get three generations worth of ancestry heritage on your pet
- Results might be delayed longer than expected by the lab
Wisdom Panel 3.0 Breed Identification Test
- Tests for more genetic mutations and breeds than ever before
- Quick results in 2 to 3 weeks
- Pre-paid shipping label and box help eliminate shipping mistakes
- Simple swabs make the testing process easy
- Only tests for breeds in the US, UK, Australia, and Western Europe
Wisdom Panel Health Canine DNA Test
- Very easy to administer
- Comes with two swabs
- Can detect more than 150 diseases
- Results are delivered very quickly
- No vet needed
- Results are very limited
- A little costly for the limitations
Mars Veterinary Wisdom Panel 2.5 DNA Test Kit
- Test results usually arrive quickly
- Comes with two swabs to ensure accuracy
- Results are emailed for quicker delivery
- Sample is easy to take
- Offers MDR1 testing
- Delivers breed insights, so you can better understand your dog
- Details are not in-depth
- May only find out what you already know